Sunday, April 24, 2011

Trip Chaining

One of the best ways to achieve transportation efficiency is to incorporate the idea of trip chaining into your life.

The basic idea is to run errands only when you've saved up multiple stops such that you can minimize total distance traveled. It works with any mode of transportation. For example:


  • Friday I drove 7.5 miles and visited three stores in one trip. Driving to each individually would have been 17.4 miles. I avoided driving 9.9 miles by planning ahead. 


  • Saturday I had four stops lined up before I ventured out on my bike. Totally distance traveled was 3.9 miles. Round-trip distance to each would have been 6.8 miles, so I shaved off 2.9 miles.


Even if you don't care about saving money on gas, or reducing your carbon footprint, or avoiding the effort of biking so many miles, trip chaining will still save you time.

Here are some tips on trip chaining from "Drive Less Save More".

And that's the lesson for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment