Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Shuksan Open House Comments

I wasn't able to attend the Open House at Shuksan School regarding the proposed bike lanes on Northwest/Elm/Dupont (had to work), but my spouse picked up info. for me. Below is my "Comment Form" as emailed to Kim Brown [kimbrown@cob.org], Transportation Options Coordinator, City of Bellingham Public Works.
If you weren't able to attend either, they welcome comments for the next few days. Just email them to Kim.
FYI, here's a link to Resolution No. 2010-32, which passed the City Council, and was the impetus for the open house.

Comments: I fully support bike lanes on Dupont / Elm / Nortwest Ave. between downtown and the existing bike lanes near the freeway.
I'm a bike commuter. I live in the Lettered Streets and work at Whatcom Community College. As currently configured this route is safe-ish for experienced riders, but significant portions are likely too challenging  to be attractive to beginning riders.
I say safe-ish because the closest I've come to being killed while cycling was when an inattentive motorist parked near the Shukshan School playfield opened his door into the traffic lane. There wasn't time for me to stop, and I was only just barely able to squeeze between passing traffic and his door. Having less on-street parking, and clearly-marked cycling facilities, will make the route safer for everyone.
I hope the designers are willing to look at all configuration options, including newer ideas like floating parking and protected bike lanes. Protecting cyclists with a curb would make the route even safer and would be best for promoting cycling among those who currently do not.
A final note: the highest- and best-use of public right-of-way is for travel, not for parking.

No comments:

Post a Comment